The Fires of Change Exhibition is an NEA-funded art exhibition open Tue-Sat 11a-5p. The exhibition explores, through the eyes of artists, the increase in severity, size and number of wildfires in the Southwest and their impact on the land.
Fires of Change will be open from Sept. 5 – Oct. 31, 2015, Tuesday – Saturday, 11:00am – 5:00pm.
The participating artists were invited for their unique perspectives, experience and talent. In order to show art in the exhibition, the artists had to participate in a Fire Science Bootcamp, spending a week in the forests of Northern Arizona in late 2014. A team of top-notch fire scientists provided the eleven invited artists education and training on the impact of wildfire in Northern Arizona in preparation for the September 2015 exhibition.
The project represents a collaboration between scientists and artists that is designed to create a deeper understanding of the science that drives the decisions land managers make and to provide an aesthetic interpretation of the fire ecology and climate science in the Southwest.
The show opens with a members’ preview reception on Thursday, Sept. 3, 2015, from 6 – 8 p.m. The exhibition opens alongside Jewel Gallery exhibition Starlight, featuring the night sky photography of Stan Honda.
Fires of Change will be open from Sept. 4 – Oct. 31, 2015. There will be a public reception on Saturday, Sept. 19, from 6-8 p.m. Several education events, artist lectures and gallery talks will be scheduled during the exhibition; please check this space in the summer for updates.
The exhibition is curated by Flagstaff installation artist Shawn Skabelund.
The eleven Fires of Change artists are:
- Kathleen Brennan of Taos, NM: photography
- David Chorlton of Phoenix, AZ: poetry
- Julie Comnick of Prescott, AZ: painting and installation
- Bryan David Griffith of Flagstaff, AZ: photography
- Craig Goodworth of Newberg, OR: sculpture, drawing, installation, performance and prose
- Jennifer Gunlock of Los Angeles, CA: mixed media drawings
- Saskia Jorda of Scottsdale, AZ: installation and performance
- Helen Padilla of Flagstaff, AZ: painting
- Bonnie Peterson of Michigan: textiles and topographic maps
- Katharina Roth of Sedona, AZ: ceramics
- Steven Yazzie of Phoenix, AZ: video/film, painting, drawing, performance and installation environments
Most of the art in Fires of Change will not be seen until the exhibition opens, but below is a preview of some art that has been created by our artists. Click on an thumbnail for a larger image.