The 11th annual Fine Craft Sale will be held in conjunction with It’s Elemental on the first weekend in December. The Fine Craft Sale is a 2-day artist marketplace with 18-20 artists selling their work in the gallery at the Coconino Center for the Arts. Artists may apply to have a booth at the Fine Craft Sale without having art in the It’s Elemental exhibition.
The Fine Craft Sale has been a big success for participating artists since it began 12 years ago. Significant promotional efforts are undertaken each year and audiences are robust, coming to the popular show looking to make purchases.
Artists may apply even if they have not applied for It’s Elemental. Each application may include up to ten examples of the variety of work intended to be sold. Jurors will consider creativity, design, and craftsmanship when reviewing the work. Artists in the Fine Craft Sale must be showing and selling artwork that meets the standards for fine craft as defined on the page for It’s Elemental.
Flagstaff Arts Council will retain a 30% commission for all sales up to a maximum of $300 for the entire weekend. Vendors are responsible for handling all transactions, access to the Arts Council credit card machine is not provided. Power outlets are available for those who require it.
Online Deadline for submissions: October 11, 2019
Notification of Acceptance (by email): October 23, 2019
Fine Craft Sale: December 7-8, 2019
Criteria for Acceptance
Jurors will be instructed to accept work that:
- Demonstrates a command of the medium
- Shows a high level of design and workmanship
- Uses materials that are manipulated by the artist
- Is designed and created by the artist – no work made from kits or utilizing a large amount of commercially made elements will be considered
- Is likely to be successful in a marketplace setting
Art in the Fine Craft Sale usually fits into one of the following categories, or a similar description:
CLAY: Functional and sculptural work, either wheel thrown or hand made. This includes figures, tiles, and tableware made from clay and fired in a variety of atmospheres.
WOOD: Original hand-tooled, machine worked, utility or sculptural, turned or carved wood.
TEXTILES/PAPER: May include, but not be limited to, using materials and/or techniques such as: yarn, fabric, knitting, crocheting, weaving, embroidery, rug making, quilting, felting, basketry, wearable art, handmade paper, bookmaking.
METAL: Functional and sculptural work, including jewelry, incorporating metal worked by the artist using one or more techniques such as forging, welding/soldering, casting, and fabrication.
GLASS: Includes stained glass, slumped, fused, lamp work (which includes beads and figures), blown, sandblasted/engraved.
MIXED MEDIA: Handmade artwork incorporating materials from two or more categories and created using any number of the techniques listed in those categories, OR work incorporating stone that is sculpted or manipulated by the artist in some way.
Applicant artists must be Arizona residents in order to sell their artwork in Fine Craft Sale.
- The application fee ($25/regular or FREE for Arts Council members) covers submission for the Fine Craft Sale. This fee is not refundable.
- Participating artists sell their work directly to the public, and pay a commission to the Coconino Center for the Arts of 30% of gross sales or $300, whichever is lower.
Artwork must be ready for display, with specific instruction for any non-standard display methods.
- Donation of handmade ornaments are requested and greatly appreciated to our annual It’s Ornamental fundraiser. Ornaments are hung on the Christmas Tree in the lobby and sold to guests at prices between $5-40 with proceeds supporting the Coconino Center for the Arts.
- Include up to 10 images of the variety of works intended to be sold. Digital images must be high quality, high resolution approximately 5” x 7”, saved at 300 dpi and in JPEG format.
- Applicant artists must be Arizona residents of Coconino, Navajo, or Yavapai counties.
For questions or more information about the Fine Craft Sale, please contact email@example.com (928) 779-2300 x103
How to Apply
The application and payment to enter Fine Craft Sale should be completed online (click button below).