11th Annual Viola Awards
Request for Proposals from Artists: Creation of the Viola Awards
Flagstaff Arts Council is seeking proposals from qualified Flagstaff-area artists who work in glass or mixed-media (must have a glass component) to create the awards for the 11th Annual Viola Awards.
The Viola Awards are Flagstaff’s Oscars for the arts community. Celebrating excellence in the arts, the Viola Awards recognize artists, educators, organizations and leaders who make positive contributions to the arts in Flagstaff. Over 500 people attend the gala event to celebrate and support these distinguished artists and professionals.
The selected artist will create works of art that will be given to each Viola Award winner at the Gala event on March 2, 2019. We’ll need a total of 12-16 awards (determined by the number of winners); the awards can be either identical or slightly different, but the overall design should be consistent. One award is kept by Flagstaff Arts Council to maintain an archive of each year’s award, and the remaining awards are given to winners. Works should be relatively small; in the past, awards have been 6-10” high with a 3-4” base (this size is flexible). One year, the awards were a wall hanging.
Timeline and Compensation
Compensation for the awards: $4,000.00
Payable: 50% deposit upon signing of a contract, 50% upon satisfactory completion of work
(Costs to prepare the pieces and engraving with award and artist names will be borne by the artist. There will be no other compensation for materials or time.)
November 26, 2018: Proposals due to Flagstaff Arts Council
December 19, 2018: Notification of Selected Artist
January 19, 2019: ALL Awards created / Arts Council provides names of winners
February 18, 2019: Realized version presented to the Arts Council
February 25, 2019: Awards engraved with names of winners; complete and delivered to Arts Council
For more information about the Viola Awards, previous winners and nominees, and photos of previous awards, click here.
Submissions will be evaluated on the following criteria, with the highest numbers indicating the highest number of points possible.
- Credentials / Experience (2 points)
- Juried shows / Awards received (2 points)
- Proposed art meets the Committee expectations of quality and design (10 points)
To submit an application, please follow the instructions below.
- Provide a narrative about your proposed design. Limit your responses to one single-sided page maximum. Include:
- The proposed artist’s name, address, phone number, email and date of proposal submission.
- A description of the concept behind your design. Be specific about the details of the materials and process to be used for the prospective Viola Awards.
- Please provide Artist Background Information. Limit to 3 pages maximum. Include:
- Your resume and/or CV
- Juried exhibitions in which your work have been accepted
- Other shows, consigned work, galleries, or means to sell your work
- Please include three images (prefer digital format 4”x4” min. 300dpi) that shows the scope and breadth of your work (submitted on a CD, thumb drive, or by email)
- Directions for submitting your design
- You may submit up to 3 different finished designs and/or prototype
- You may submit in one or more of the following ways:
- An actual physical sample of the award design, or,
- A finished drawing of the proposed final design (include color), or,
- Digital images (4”x4” at 300 dpi minimum, submitted on a CD, thumb drive, or by email)
Proposals are due by 5:00 P.M. on Monday, November 26, 2018, at the Coconino Center for the Arts in Flagstaff. This is NOT a postmark deadline. Entries must be in the possession of Flagstaff Arts Council by the deadline time and date. Late applications will not be considered. *There is no fee to apply.
Proposals can be turned in to Flagstaff Arts Council in these ways:
- Drop off in person at Coconino Center for the Arts (2300 N. Fort Valley Road, Monday-Saturday 11a-5p) – RECOMMENDED
- Or mail to: Arts Council c/o Viola Awards, PO Box 296, Flagstaff, AZ 86002
- Or email. We strongly recommend that you receive acknowledgment of receipt of your proposal.
For questions about this RFP, please email us or call Becky Daggett at 928-779-2300 x101.