Many artists around the world attest to it: art has the power to save lives. The arts provide experiences that can transform people’s perspectives and comprehension of the world around them in radically positive ways. It can also fuel self-awareness and empower people to express themselves even when they haven’t had the courage to do so before.
This happens for artists and also for audiences and consumers of all kinds of art. A beautiful and moving performance can bring a person to tears. Music takes us to emotional places that words often cannot. Poetry has the power to move us in dramatic ways.
The Flagstaff Arts Council is seeking submissions for an exhibition of high quality artistic black and white photographs that support the theme art saves lives. Images should reflect some aspect of this broad theme.
About the Exhibition Venue
The Coconino Center for the Arts (CCA) is located at 2300 North Fort Valley Road (Highway 180). CCA is on the way to several Arizona attractions such as the Grand Canyon, Museum of Northern Arizona, and the Arizona Snowbowl. The facility includes a 4,000 square foot art Main Gallery and an indoor amphitheater that seats 200. Art Saves Lives will be in the Hidden Light Gallery, a 200 sq. foot gallery off the lobby and reception area. The Center sees over 30,000 visitors each year.
- Deadline to apply online: August 15, 2018
- Notification of acceptance (by email): August 31, 2018
- Delivery of work: September 20-21, 2018
- Public Reception: TBA
- Exhibition Open: September 25 – December 15, 2018, Tue-Sat, 11am-5pm
- Art work pick up: December 17-19, 2018
- Shipped work sent to artists: by December 21, 2018
Jury prizes will be awarded for Best of Show ($250), Second Place ($100), and Third Place ($50). Prize winning works will be announced at the opening reception in the fall.
Print Format and Shipping
Photographs for this exhibition may NOT be framed. Accepted photographs must be printed and mounted on a sturdy background (metal, gatorboard, or other appropriate material). Artwork must be ready to hang and display. The artist should include specific instructions for any unusual display methods.
Accepted artists can deliver their work in one of two ways:
- Have their photograph(s) printed by local firm Hidden Light which will provide a discount to artists accepted in Art Saves Lives. The work will then be delivered to the Coconino Center for the Arts by Hidden Light. The artist shall pay for return shipping at the end of the exhibition if the photograph(s) remains unsold.
- Ship their work directly to the Coconino Center for the Arts. The Arts Council will pay for return shipping at the end of the exhibition if the photograph(s) remains unsold. Shipped work must make use of a sturdy, reusable container suitable for this purpose.
Insurance for artwork in transit to and from the venue is the responsibility of the artist. The Arts Council provides insurance for artwork in its possession.
- A $15 entry fee (free for Arts Council members) covers the submission of up to 3 photographs.
- All artwork must remain on display throughout the duration of the exhibition (no exceptions).
- Artwork accepted will be considered ‘on loan’ during the exhibition, covered by Arts Council insurance, subject to Arts Council policies, and available for sale at the artist’s request on a consignment basis (70% to artist, 30% to venue).
- Artwork that has been displayed at the Coconino Center for the Arts in the past will not be considered.
- Jurors for the exhibition will be posted soon.
Work will be juried blind from digital images; the juror will not know the name of the artist when selecting artwork. Digital images must be a minimum of 300 dpi, 5”x7” (although larger is preferred). Any accepted artwork that differs markedly from submitted images may not be installed in the exhibition (subject to staff/juror discretion).
Art works will be considered for acceptance into the exhibition by jurors according to two primary criteria: 1) excellence in artistic quality, and 2) suitability and unification with the stated exhibition theme.
Click on the green button below and complete the form.