It’s Elemental celebrates the talent and creativity of Arizona’s craftspeople by showcasing fine craft work that demonstrates a command of the medium and a high level of workmanship and design. The exhibition will include art created from clay, wood, fiber/paper, metal, and glass. Submitted pieces can be functional or nonfunctional. Participating artists must currently reside in the state of Arizona.
The deadline to apply for It’s Elemental 2019 is September 20, 2019.
Artists are limited to one application. However, artists may apply a second time as part of a collaboration (2 or more artists working together on a work of art). No artist may be part of more than two applications. Each application may include up to three works of art. The exhibition will be juried by a panel of local artists.
This year’s It’s Elemental exhibition features awards totaling $1,200 in cash prizes!
- The overall Best in Show prize will be $600
- A First Prize award will be $300
- A Juror’s Award of $100 will be awarded for the “Best of” each of the four categories that are not represented by the above two awards (categories: wood, clay, metal, glass, paper/textile and mixed media)
Criteria for Acceptance
Art in It’s Elemental is juried in one of the following categories: Clay, Wood, Fiber/Paper, Metal, Glass, or Mixed Media.
Jurors will be instructed to accept work that:
- Demonstrates a command of the medium
- Shows a high level of design and workmanship
- Uses materials that are manipulated by the artist
- Is designed and created by the artist – no work made from kits or utilizing a large amount of commercially made elements will be considered
- May be either functional or nonfunctional
Jurors will also consider the following descriptions of the various categories:
CLAY: Functional and sculptural work, either wheel thrown or hand made. This includes figures, tiles, and tableware made from clay and fired in a variety of atmospheres.
WOOD: Original hand-tooled, machine worked, utility or sculptural, turned or carved wood.
TEXTILES/PAPER: May include, but not be limited to, using materials and/or techniques such as: yarn, fabric, knitting, crocheting, weaving, embroidery, rug making, quilting, felting, basketry, wearable art, handmade paper, bookmaking.
METAL: Functional and sculptural work, including jewelry, incorporating metal worked by the artist using one or more techniques such as forging, welding/soldering, casting, and fabrication.
GLASS: Includes stained glass, slumped, fused, lamp work (which includes beads and figures), blown, sandblasted/engraved.
MIXED MEDIA: Handmade artwork incorporating materials from two or more categories and created using any number of the techniques listed in those categories, OR work incorporating stone that is sculpted or manipulated by the artist in some way.
Artists must currently reside in the state of Arizona in order to enter their artwork in It’s Elemental.
Student artists are NOT eligible to apply. Student artists enrolled in post-secondary art programs in Arizona may apply to have artwork in the Foundations exhibition that accompanies It’s Elemental.
Acceptance is based primarily on the images presented, so the quality of the images is extremely important.
Online Deadline for submissions: September 19, 2019
- Members Preview: 5:00-6:00pm
- Public Reception: 6:00-8:00pm
- The application fee ($35/regular or $20/members) covers one application of up to three works of art for It’s Elemental. This fee is not refundable.
- Flagstaff Arts Council will retain a 30% commission for all sales.
- Artists who reside within 100 miles of Flagstaff will be responsible for delivery of artwork to and from the Coconino Center for the Arts. For Arizona artists who reside further than 100 miles, the Arts Council will pay a shipping or travel stipend to support costs associated with delivery of artwork (maximum $100).
- Any accepted work delivered for the exhibition at the deadline that differs significantly in quality or concept from the juried works may not be accepted.
- Please consider creating and donating handmade ornaments to support the annual “It’s Ornamental” fundraiser: a Christmas tree in our lobby showcases these ornaments, priced between $5 – $50, the sales from which support exhibitions at the Coconino Center for the Arts. Ornaments can be dropped off October 28-29, or before November 8.
- Up to three images per work of art submitted (one full, two detail). Digital images must be high quality, high resolution (minimum size: approx. 5” x 7”, saved at 300 dpi) and in JPEG format.
- Image files must be named with the title of the work of art and labeled in this format:
- Work must have been created within the last three years and created without supervision of a teacher (student artists may submit work for the Foundations exhibition of college-level student artist work in the Jewel Gallery).
- Artwork must be ready for display, with specific instruction for any non-standard display methods.
- Artwork that has been displayed at the Coconino Center for the Arts in the past will not be considered.
Jurors review the images of all proposed artwork blind, without knowing the names of the artists. They review images, titles, sizes, medium, year created and sale price. Their decisions are made based on the criteria listed above in the Criteria for Acceptance section. Jurors are invited artists for the 2019 It’s Elemental exhibition.
The contact person for questions or more information about It’s Elemental is:
Sarah Smallwood | Email | 928.779.2300 x103
Fine Craft Sale & Artist Marketplace
The Fine Craft Sale is a separate Artist Marketplace that occurs during It’s Elemental. It’s the perfect art market for the holiday season, and an opportunity for artists to sell more art than what is shown in the It’s Elemental exhibition. Artists are provided a booth in the Coconino Center for the Arts.
PLEASE NOTE: Artists must apply SEPARATELY to be considered for the Fine Craft Sale.
The Fine Craft Sale is scheduled for December 7-8, 2019. The deadline to apply for the Fine Craft Sale is October 4, 2019. There is a $15 application fee (the fee is waived for Arts Council members). Artists do not need to have art in It’s Elemental to participate in the Sale.
How to Apply
The application and payment to enter It’s Elemental must be completed online (below). If you are having trouble using this form, contact us at 928.779.2300.