Hidden Light is hosting their second annual Portfolio Review for photographers on Saturday, March 31, 2018, in Flagstaff. Three prize winners from the Review will show their photographs in an exhibition in the Hidden Light Gallery at the Coconino Center for the Arts in April 2018.
Here’s all the information you need to know to participate:
Who should participate:
Whether you are just starting in photography and looking to get your first professional feedback, or you are an award-winning, published shooter, this opportunity is for you. One-on-one time with people knowledgeable about the photography field means that your session is tailored specifically to you. Want to know how to get published in magazines? Ask your reviewers. Looking to make fine-art prints for display in museums and galleries? Great! Your session is about your images and your goals for your work.
Inside of a strict 25 minute timeline, you only have time to look through your best images, so it is imperative that you know how to cull your work down to the best of the best. Showing the breadth of the work you want to be doing is better than showing the depth of a single project that all looks similar. You can think about the portfolio review as a sort of interview; make a great first impression, show your best work, and take the constructive criticism to heart.
How it works:
Over the course of two hours, you will sit with four different experts from all walks of the photography industry and get their take on your portfolio of images. You’ll get 25 minutes with each reviewer, with a short break in between each person to write down your notes and finish your conversation.
$55 payable to Hidden Light. Cash, check or card. Please arrive ten minutes before your scheduled review time to make sure you have time to pay.
The top three portfolios scored by the reviewers will have the opportunity to display their work at an exclusive show at the Coconino Center for the Arts, opening April 10. The grand prize winner will receive their work printed at no charge by Hidden Light, for display at the above mentioned show.
Some review tips:
- Bring your best work! If you have images that aren’t quite finished yet, leave them at home. Choose your top (up to 20) images to show and receive in-depth feedback.
- Print your images! An iPad or computer screen will *not* showcase your work in the best way. If you must show your work digitally, please bring a computer, tablet or other way to display your images. Have it set up and ready to go.
- Expect constructive criticism. This review is all about how you can improve as a photographer.
- Consider taking notes. You’ll get a lot of feedback in two hours – writing some of it down is a good way to help absorb it.
- Bring your business card or a printed leave-behind for each reviewer, in case they want to get in touch with you at a later date.
- Ask questions – be engaged – LISTEN to the responses.