Student artist Victoria Vick with her Best in Show Foundations winning piece.
Foundations is a juried exhibition of artwork by local college student artists, showing jewelry, ceramics, glasswork, wood, furniture, fabric, sculpture and more. Foundations accompanies the Main Gallery exhibition, It’s Elemental, which showcases works of art by the finest craftspeople in Northern Arizona.
Student artists enrolled and taking art classes in any post-secondary institution in Coconino, Yavapai, or Navajo county may submit art for consideration in the Foundations exhibition.
Foundations celebrates the talent and creativity of student artists and craftspeople by showcasing fine craft work that demonstrates promise and strength of workmanship and design. The exhibition will include art created from clay, wood, fiber/paper, metal, and glass. Submitted pieces can be functional or nonfunctional.
The deadline to apply for Foundations 2017 is October 12, 2017.
Artists are limited to one application. One cash award of $50 will be given to a student artist for the Foundations Best in Show winning art work.
Criteria for Acceptance
Art in Foundations is juried in one of the following categories: Clay, Wood, Fiber/Paper, Metal, Glass, or Mixed Media. Jurors will be instructed to accept work that:
- Demonstrates ability to work with the medium
- Shows promise and strength in design and workmanship
- Uses materials that are manipulated by the artist
- Designed and created by the artist – no work made from kits or utilizing a large amount of commercially made elements will be considered
- May be either functional or nonfunctional
Jurors will also consider the following descriptions of the various categories:
CLAY: Functional and sculptural work, either wheel thrown or hand made. This includes figures, tiles, and tableware made from clay and fired in a variety of atmospheres.
WOOD: Original hand-tooled, machine worked, utility or sculptural, turned or carved wood.
TEXTILES/PAPER: May include, but not be limited to, using materials and/or techniques such as: yarn, fabric, knitting, crocheting, weaving, embroidery, rug making, quilting, felting, basketry, wearable art, handmade paper, bookmaking.
METAL: Functional and sculptural work, including jewelry, incorporating metal worked by the artist using one or more techniques such as forging, welding/soldering, casting, and fabrication.
GLASS: Includes stained glass, slumped, fused, lamp work (which includes beads and figures), blown, sandblasted/engraved.
MIXED MEDIA: Work incorporating materials from two or more categories and created using any number of the techniques listed in those categories, OR work incorporating stone that is sculpted or worked by the artist in some way.
Acceptance is based solely on the images presented, so the quality of the images is extremely important. See last year’s It’s Elemental exhibition for examples.
- Online Deadline for submissions: October 12, 2017 (11:45pm)
- Notification of Acceptance (by email): October 20, 2017
- Delivery of work: October 30-31, 9am-5pm
- Members Reception Preview: November 9, 2017, 6-8pm
- Opening Reception: November 10, 2017, 6-8pm
- Fine Craft Sale: December 2-3, 2017
- Exhibition closes: December 16, 2017
- Art work pick up: December 18-20, 2017, and January 2, 2018, 9am-5pm