The Flagstaff Arts Council is currently accepting submission for the 2016 It’s Elemental, celebrating works of art by the finest crafts people in Northern Arizona. Artists residing in one of the northern Arizona counties of Coconino, Navajo, or Yavapai may apply for this fine craft exhibition, which offers $1,000 in cash awards. Deadline to apply online is September 20, 2016.
It’s Elemental 2016 eligible categories:
- CLAY: Functional and sculptural work, either wheel thrown or hand made. This includes figures, tiles, and tableware made from clay and fired in a variety of atmospheres.
- WOOD: Original hand-tooled, machine worked, utility or sculptural, turned or carved wood.
- TEXTILES/PAPER: May include, but not be limited to, using materials and/or techniques such as: yarn, fabric, knitting, crocheting, weaving, embroidery, rug making, quilting, felting, basketry, wearable art, handmade paper, bookmaking.
- METAL: Functional and sculptural work, including jewelry, incorporating metal worked by the artist using one or more techniques such as forging, welding/soldering, casting, and fabrication.
- GLASS: Includes stained glass, slumped, fused, lamp work (which includes beads and figures), blown, sandblasted/engraved.
- MIXED MEDIA: Work incorporating materials from two or more categories and created using any number of the techniques listed in those categories, OR work incorporating stone that is sculpted or worked by the artist in some way.
*Submitted pieces can be functional or nonfunctional.
The 10th annual Fine Craft Sale will be held in conjunction with It’s Elemental on the first weekend in December. The Fine Craft Sale is a 2-day artist marketplace with 18-20 artists selling their work in the gallery at the Coconino Center for the Arts. Artists may apply to have a booth at the Fine Craft Sale without having art in the It’s Elemental exhibition.
Artists may apply even if they have not applied for It’s Elemental. Each application may include up to five examples of the variety of work intended to be sold. Jurors will consider creativity, design, and craftsmanship when reviewing the work. Acceptance is based solely on the images presented, so the quality of the images is extremely important. Deadline to apply online is September 20, 2016