Foundations is a juried exhibition of artwork by local college student artists, showing jewelry, ceramics, glasswork, wood, furniture, fabric, sculpture and more. Foundations accompanies the Main Gallery exhibition, It’s Elemental, which showcases works of art by the finest craftspeople in Northern Arizona.
Student artists enrolled and taking art classes in any post-secondary institution in Coconino, Yavapai, or Navajo county may submit art for consideration in the Foundations exhibition.
Foundations celebrates the talent and creativity of student artists and craftspeople by showcasing fine craft work that demonstrates promise and strength of workmanship and design. The exhibition will include art created from clay, wood, fiber/paper, metal, and glass. Submitted pieces can be functional or nonfunctional.
The deadline to apply for Foundations 2016 is October 24 (extended), 2016.
Artists are limited to one application. One cash award of $50 will be given to a student artist for the Foundations Best in Show winning art work.
Criteria for Acceptance
Art in Foundations is juried in one of the following categories: Clay, Wood, Fiber/Paper, Metal, Glass, or Mixed Media. Jurors will be instructed to accept work that:
- Demonstrates ability to work with the medium
- Shows promise and strength in design and workmanship
- Uses materials that are manipulated by the artist
- Designed and created by the artist – no work made from kits or utilizing a large amount of commercially made elements will be considered
- May be either functional or nonfunctional
Jurors will also consider the following descriptions of the various categories:
CLAY: Functional and sculptural work, either wheel thrown or hand made. This includes figures, tiles, and tableware made from clay and fired in a variety of atmospheres.
WOOD: Original hand-tooled, machine worked, utility or sculptural, turned or carved wood.
TEXTILES/PAPER: May include, but not be limited to, using materials and/or techniques such as: yarn, fabric, knitting, crocheting, weaving, embroidery, rug making, quilting, felting, basketry, wearable art, handmade paper, bookmaking.
METAL: Functional and sculptural work, including jewelry, incorporating metal worked by the artist using one or more techniques such as forging, welding/soldering, casting, and fabrication.
GLASS: Includes stained glass, slumped, fused, lamp work (which includes beads and figures), blown, sandblasted/engraved.
MIXED MEDIA: Work incorporating materials from two or more categories and created using any number of the techniques listed in those categories, OR work incorporating stone that is sculpted or worked by the artist in some way.
Acceptance is based solely on the images presented, so the quality of the images is extremely important. See last year’s It’s Elemental exhibition for examples.
Online Deadline for submissions: October 24 (extended), 2016 (11:59pm)
Notification of Acceptance (by email): October 21, 2016
Delivery of work: October 31 – November 1, 9am-5pm
Members Reception Preview: November 11, 2016, 6-8pm
Opening Reception: November 12, 2016, 6-8pm
Fine Craft Sale: December 3-4, 2016
Exhibit closes: December 17, 2016
Art work pick up: December 19-21, 2016, and January 3, 2017, 9am-5pm
- There is no fee to apply for Foundations
- Donation of handmade ornaments are greatly appreciated and encouraged by participating artists to support our annual “It’s Ornamental” fundraiser: a Christmas tree in our lobby showcases handmade artist ornaments, the sales from which support exhibitions at the Coconino Center for the Arts.
- Flagstaff Arts Council will retain a 30% commission for all sales. Any accepted work delivered for the exhibition at the deadline that differs significantly in quality or concept from the juried works may not be accepted.
- Up to three works of art can be submitted for consideration.
- Up to 2 images per work of art submitted (one full, one detail). Digital images must be high quality, high resolution (minimum size: approx. 5” x 7”, saved at 300 dpi) and in JPEG format.
- Student artists submitting work must be Arizona residents of Coconino, Navajo, or Yavapai counties, and enrolled in a post-secondary institution in the fall 2016 semester.
- Work must have been created in 2015 or 2016.
- Artwork must be ready for display, with specific instruction for any non-standard display methods.
- Artwork that has been displayed at the Coconino Center for the Arts in the past will not be considered.
Fine Craft Sale & Artist Marketplace
The Fine Craft Sale is a separate Artist Marketplace that occurs during It’s Elemental. It’s the perfect art market for the holiday season, and an opportunity for artists to sell more art than what is shown in the It’s Elemental exhibition. Artists are provided a booth in the Coconino Center for the Arts.
The Fine Craft Sale is scheduled for December 3-4, 2016. The deadline to apply for the Fine Craft Sale is September 20, 2016. There is a $15 application fee (waived for Arts Council members). Artists do not need to have art in It’s Elemental to participate in the Sale.
How to Apply
The application and payment to enter Foundations must be completed online (below). If you are having trouble using this form, contact us at 928.779.2300.