The Arts Council will be hosting a variety of art workshops this summer, and we’ve announced the first of them. Introduction to Relief Printmaking, as taught by printmaker Deb Strong Napple, will offer students the opportunity to learn the basics of the art form of printmaking.
In the two-day workshop, students will design, cut and print an original, unique woodblock or linoleum block print in an edition of 5-10. All students will leave with an edition of their own one-color print. No experience is necessary to participate and learn in this exciting new workshop.
Skills introduced and practiced include:
- Composition of the picture plane
- Transfer of image to relief block
- Handling of cutting and printing tools
- Cutting of wood and/or linoleum block
- Registration of paper
- Clean and accurate printing methods
- Curating of finished prints
- Looking critically at finished prints
Introduction to Relief Printmaking will take place at the Coconino Center for the Arts on Saturday and Sunday, June 11-12, 2016. The class will gather from 10am to 5pm each day, with a one-hour break for lunch.