Erin Gooch: Wall Pillow Whimsy
Local Color is an art exhibition borne of connections.
Artists and members of the community have selected and invited the 23 artists who are featured in Local Color 2016, a biennial exhibition at the Coconino Center for the Arts. The exhibition will feature a diverse range of styles and media from these local artists, including ceramics, paintings, sculpture, large murals, and more.
Members of the Flagstaff Arts Council will have the first chance to view the exhibition at a special Member’s reception on Saturday, April 16, 6–8pm. There will be live music, hors d’oeuvres and some fun surprises. Many of the participating artists will be in attendance. A Public Opening Reception will take place on Saturday, April 23, 6–8pm.
Natalie Reed Goehl
Candice Methe Hess
Featured in the Jewel Gallery is Before the Mythmakers, an exhibition of paintings by David Lash.
Here’s how the artists were selected for Local Color:
- Six artists were invited to be the core artists:
- Each of these six artists invited three more artists (6 artists x 3 artists = 18 artists)
- Those 18 artists plus the core 6 equals 24 total invited artists
- Selection of the core six artists was as follows:
- Two artists were chosen by a nomination and vote by the community at large
- Two artists were chosen by a vote of the 24 artists that participated in Local Color 2014
- Two more artists were chosen by a vote of the Arts Advisory Council, a group of volunteer artists who advise on art and exhibitions at the Coconino Center for the Arts.
The only rules were that participating artists must be locally-based, and cannot have participated as an artist in the 2014 Local Color exhibition. Through this process, each artist has a connection to every other artist, forming a network web of local talent, separated by only a few degrees.
There is no jury, no curator, and no prospectus, and Arts Council staff did not have a vote. This show is about local artists deciding what other local artists should be showing art at the Center.
Local Color will be open April 19 – May 28, 2016.