The Artistic Director at the Flagstaff Arts Council is a new position for 2015-16. The position is part-time salaried, with an expectation of between 500-600 hours of work in one year. It is partially grant-funded, and therefore will operate on a one-year contract with the possibility of renewal for additional years.
The Artistic Director is responsible for managing two primary Arts Council programs: 1) art exhibitions at the Coconino Center for the Arts, and 2) the ArtBox Institute. The position reports to the Executive Director.
Specifically, the position plans and produces art exhibitions at the Coconino Center for the Arts during the term of employment. The position also assists with long-term planning and development of exhibition concepts for the future. In regards to the ArtBox Institute, the position oversees the five-month business-training program for artists. The ArtBox Institute is slated to run January through May 2016.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Art Exhibitions
- Management of and support for juries for art work selection
- Primary liaison to visual artists participating in art exhibitions
- Installation and de-installation of all main gallery and jewel gallery exhibitions
- Development of education programs that support exhibitions
- Development of concepts for exhibitions beyond 2015-16
- ArtBox Institute
- Assists with recruitment of students
- Assists with planning for curriculum, instructors and schedule
- Attends all sessions of the class
- Serves as primary liaison and support staff for ArtBox students
- Serves as primary liaison to instructors
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
The Ideal Candidate will possess:
- One to three years experience with curatorial work in a gallery setting
- Experience with arts management, gallery management or arts education
- Experience working with artists in a professional setting
- Minimum BA in a related artistic field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a team-based, collaborative environment
- Computer / software / internet proficiency
- Strong work ethic
- Excellent customer service skills
- Passionate belief in the importance of arts, culture, science and community
Salary: DOE. There are no benefits provided for the position.
First review of applications after July 15; close date for applications is July 31, 2015.
Position begins work in September 2015.
No phone calls please.